This past week, my blog feed has been filled with posts about about Thanksgiving, snow, Christmas and holiday decorating.
I interrupt these festivities to bring you an update about what I packed for a trip to Hawaii.
The rainy weather comes fairly early here on the West Coast and with the Remembrance Day holiday in early November, many families take a holiday to a sun destination before the real cold and rain sets in.
A few weeks ago, I lamented about what to pack for this trip. I do this for most trips and always pack just a few too many things. So, to move this along so that you can get back to your blanket scarf and holiday decorating, here is what I packed:
- 3 pairs of shorts (black, khaki, distressed denim)
- 2 black & cream short patterned dresses
- 1 long black & grey maxi dress
- 2 tank tops (orange & blue)
- 1 skirt (grey)
- 4 tees (white, black, graphic and purple)
- 1 pair of lululemon athletic pants (to wear on the plane)
- 1 cardigan (black)
- 1 sport jacket (black – to wear on the plane)
- 3 bathings suits
- 2 cover ups
- exercise clothes
- 1 pair of sandals, 1 pair of flip flops and Nike fun runners
Are you wondering how much of this I wore? You might be surprised.
- 1 pair of shorts – the black ones only. Realized that I don’t like the distressed denim ones and didn’t need the khaki ones.
- 1 short dress – made by Columbia with a built in bra in a forgiving pattern for wrinkles and spills. The other dress was an impulse online order and never fit well or looked good.
- 1 long maxi dress – wore a couple times for dinner – love it!
- 1 tank top – the orange one added colour to my shorts and fit better than the blue one I dragged along
- 1 skirt – this grey t-shirt skirt goes everywhere with me and pretty much any top goes with it. Super easy to pack and wear.
- 3 tees – I wore the white one the most, then the graphic one and lastly the purple one. The black one stayed in my suitcase the whole time, which is surprising for me.
- 2 bathing suits were worn and both cover ups.
- All the shoes were worn regularly.
So, as you can see I slightly overpacked. Not by a great amount but there were about 8 extra items that hooked a ride on my trip and weren’t needed.
These hot tropical type vacations really don’t require a lot of clothing. You rarely see the same people twice, most condos have laundry facilities and with the exception of the odd dinner out, it is a pretty casual trip. Bring along a few pieces of jewellery and voila your outfit has changed.
We now resume our regular programming. Cue Christmas music, elf and holiday decorating.